With a proof of concept, if not much more, in hand, I set about making a second version. Nikki suggested printing the panels on paper and using the paper. My printer was out of ink at the time (I have a fancy printer and the ink costs a mint.), so I borrowed a printer, and set about doing that. What eventually appeared was a sandwich:
This took a fair bit of time in photoshop, since I had to make the panels look exactly correct. So an hour or so per panel to make sure it all looked the way it was supposed to. But I was having printing problems- the panels weren’t printing at the right size and it wasn’t my printer. Concerns about ink usage arose. After several attempts I finally managed to get all the printed panels in my hands and make the sandwiches.
While this looked okay- certainly better than the previous attempt, it had a flaw- it was very hard to make the sandwich stay together. I spent a lot of time gluing and gluing. The glue has to go SOMEWHERE and there was nowhere to put it on the panel that it was well hidden. I had lots of problems with the panels coming apart. I kept gluing them back together. But I was rapidly running out of TIME. I shipped the panels overnight to Philadelphia. They were supposed to be there by noon the next day. Nikki would then have one full day to get it all together. This was the second round of panels:
In the mad rush I cut the door opening to the sign on the stomacher backwards. Oops.
The USPS lost the package.
They misrouted it and it didn’t arrive until a day later. Then Nikki had the same problems I did with panel separation. She’d had a really, really awful week (for various reasons) and in the end just couldn’t build the corset in time for Defcon. We then were focused on a new deadline- Wicked Faire on August 13.
So we were getting there, but we weren’t quite there yet.