Furniture project part 6.4- top’s done.

4th verse, same as the first.

DSC_4111

Mosaics are done, purple polka dots filled in.

DSC_4112

Same thing, different angle.

DSC_4114

First coat of black goes on around the spots.

DSC_4118

Same thing, different angle.

DSC_4120

Again, same thing, different angle.

DSC_4637

Top, finished. There’s a lack of light here, so the black looks a little more solid and uniform than it is.

DSC_4638

Same thing, different angle.

DSC_4641

Same thing, different angle.

So now, all that’s left is the finishing/putting back together part. I’ve decided to use a high-gloss polyurethane. I could use shellac but since it’s alcohol based I decided against it- if someone spills their drink on the thing my finish needs to be seriously fixed. I could use lacquer, which would match my coffee table, but I really, *really* hate working with lacquer. It’s toxic as shit, and the fumes are miserable. Even worse is lacquer *thinner*, which obviously, you need to use as well. It’s not fine furniture, so I’m not going to use another resin based finish. Poly will do fine. I can throw three coats on, finish it out with some pumice and rottenstone, and wax the bad boy up like a bowling alley.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s